Students are required to wear a uniform to martial arts classes, including sparring. No uniform is required for Cardio Kickboxing.
Martial Arts Gi:
- Gi tops must have “West Shore Academy of Martial Arts” on the back, see the office for where to have the letters applied
- Gi tops must have 3 patches. Patches are available in the office for $12.00 plus tax. For best results, patches should be sewed on the gi. Patch Attach and other glues do not work well. Pins and staples are unsafe and are not allowed. Patches may be reused when a new gi is purchased. Patches should be placed as follows:
- lion patch – over the heart: where the right hand is placed for the Pledge of Allegiance
- American flag – right sleeve, centered just below the intersection of the shoulder and sleeve seams
- Korean flag – left sleeve, centered just below the intersection of the shoulder and sleeve seams, with red part of the yin yang up
- A T-shirt may be worn under the gi top (optional)
- T-shirt must be the same color as the gi top
- No words or pictures on the T-shirt may show through the white gi top
- No jewelry is permitted
- Children are allowed to wear the school T-shirt instead of the gi top year-round
- Adults may wear the school T-shirt instead of the gi top only between the June and September tests
- When the T-shirt is worn, it must be tucked into the gi pants.
General Gi care:
- Respect your gi!
- Gi’s should always be laundered and ironed
- Gi’s should always be folded in the traditional manner
- Respect your belt! You worked hard to earn it!
- NEVER wash your belt.
- If your belt comes off during class, carefully fold it and place it to the side – NEVER throw your belt!
- Belts must always be tied correctly! When tied, there should be no “kinks” and the knot should form a horseshoe opening towards the left. To learn to tie your belt correctly, ask any blackbelt!